Monday, December 1, 2008

An Abundance of Katherines

About two weeks ago, I read John Green's An Abundance of Katherines. Sadly, I forgot to post my thoughts. So better late than never. Here is a quick summary and my thoughts of the book...

Colin Singleton gets dumped by his girlfriend, Katherine. It just so happens that this is his 19th time to be dumped, and each time his girlfriend was named Katherine. Colin's best friend ,Hassan, recommends that the two take a summer road trip so Colin can get his mind off the recent break-up. The two make it to Gutshot, TN, where they stop and stay for the summer. While in Gutshot, Colin's diligently works on a theorem which predicts the future of his female relationships. The story culminates as the the two boys run into some trouble with some of the local teenagers.

Personally, I enjoyed my first novel by John Green. I appreciated the added footnotes that Green used to enrich the story. I found these interesting, humorous, and informational. I found the universal topic, male/female relationships, entertaining and engaging. I would definitely recommend this YA book.

Rating:

Happy Reading,
Dr. Quinn

1 comment:

'Quel said...

I loved this book. John Green's writing style is extremely fluid and interesting. And I adored Hassan; he was SO funny. All of his characters were well developed and believable (one of those things that I often critique).

I agree with your recommendation about high school reading level, especially concerning the manner in which Hassan breaks up with Katrina. And while the euphemism for the f-word didn't bother me, it might bother some people. In a way it made the characters more believable. But it's probably not appropriate for younger readers.

By the way, did you notice the chapter of his new book in the back of this one? That looks very interesting.