We Are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball
by Kadir Nelson
· Absolutely fantastic
· As usual Nelson’s paintings are deep and rich with color
· Paintings are based on historic photographs
· I love the endpages (brown & simple), the quotes, the history, and the paintings.
· Nelson hit a grand slam with this one!
Frankenstein Takes the Cake
by Adam Rex
· I love the way Adam Rex thinks outside the box
· Very creative…something different on every page
· Illustration were done in pencil, charcoal, oils, and with Photoshop
· Filled with wacky poems
What to Do with Alice?
by Barbara Kerley Ill by Edwin Fotheringham
· “How Alice Roosevelt broke the rules, charmed the world, and drove her father Teddy crazy”
· Interesting story about Alice’s young life.
· Illustrations were done in digital media
· Fun illustrations with a since mode of the time period
That Book Woman
by Heather Henson & Ill. by David Small
· Text is filled with Appalachian dialect
· Good story about the Pack Horse Librarians
· Illustrations are done in ink, watercolor and pastel chalk
· Cartoonish look but with a touch of Trina Schart Hyman in them
The House in the Night
by Susan Marie Swanson & Ill. by Beth Krommes
· Inspired by traditional poems with cumulative patterns
· Scratchboard and watercolor make up the wonderful pictures
· In my opinion the pictures carry this story
· The pictures are black & white with touches of golden yellow to highlight specific objects on each page