Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mock Caldecott Winners (9:00 Class)

Here is the medal winner and honor books for our Mock Caldecott
(9:00 Class)



Medal Winner

My Friend, the Starfinder
by George Ela Lyon & Ill.by Stephen Gammell

A sample of posted statements from some of my students prior to the event:

I really liked this book when I read it! The illustrations are vibrant and colorful in a way that sets the whimsical feeling of the book. I also love how the illustrator separtated the past and future stories so that the reader can understand what's going on in the story if he or she isn't looking at the text. He made the past stories black and white at first and then added color as the stories went on. This is definitely Caldecott material in my opinion.


I absolutely loved this book! It is my favorite one that I have read. The illustrations are so unique and create a magical feeling, which definitely coincides with the story being told. I thought it was very creative how there was the shape of a star on every page and that it was located somewhere other than the sky. I also loved how when the Starfinder was telling stories from his past, there was a lack of color. It makes the story seem old. I just think this book is excellent and definitely deserves a Caldecott!


Honor Books



We Are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball
by Kadir Nelson




Silent Music: The Story of Bagdad
By James Rumford


Happy Reading,
Dr. Quinn

No comments: